Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Walking the Same Path

By Connie S. Hall

I’m writing this blog prior to my boarding a plane with my sister this afternoon bound for Scotland. I’ll be having the time of my life as I travel a small portion of Scotland, England, and Wales. Yeah, I’m nervous.

It’s hard leaving my husband at home. I’ll also miss some of the children, grandchildren, and of course, my mom. I won’t miss the phone, but I’ll miss my laptop (but I’m taking my alpha-smart) and I’ll miss my e-mail friends. It’ll seem odd not going to work, and I dread the pile of work that will be waiting for me on my return to a one-girl office.

Driving a car in Europe has me a bit worried. Thank goodness, I ordered one with automatic transmission or I’d be in deep trouble. It would be hard to learn to shift while driving on the wrong side of the road. I’ve never dealt with money other than dollars and cents. The pounds and other money there will be foreign to this oldster. I know they speak English, but their accent is strange. Flying across the ocean is going to be a tough one. I’ve been to Hawaii, but it didn’t take long. Both my sons told me at that time I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the sky and the ocean. They lied. I knew the difference. I love flying, (except taking off and landing) but have never gone anywhere that you left one day and got to your destination the next.

Now to the best part of why I’m going to a land so far away. Most of my ancestors came from the areas I’ll be visiting. Many left a world full of riches for a life of poverty. I’m actually writing a book about one of them called Riches to Rags. Many left their homes and families searching for religious freedom. I can’t imagine getting on a ship to sail somewhere unknown to me and having no idea where I would end up. I’m getting on an airplane to go some place new to me, but I’ve seen pictures of it, and I know others who have been there. I know how long it will take and what time I will arrive. I have places reserved for me to sleep. The Pilgrims and Pioneers had no idea how long it would take them to get to where they were going and they had no home or family waiting for them.

I’ll be doing research to help me understand and know my ancestors. Seeing the scenes with my eyes will be a tremendous help. Walking down the same paths and seeing some of the homes they left behind will give me a new perspective. Visiting the identical castles and churches they visited will help me realize the type of life they lived. Smelling the similar smells and tasting the same type of food will help me have an appreciation for their life. Hearing some of the identical sounds will be like music to my ears.

As you can guess, I’m going on an adventure until the end of July. Meanwhile Nichole has offered to post the blogs I have written for the next two weeks. Hope you have a fun and exciting summer.

No comments: