Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Dad has a Girlfriend

By Darvell Hunt

My Dad has a girlfriend. I don’t quite know how I feel about that. Two months after my mom died from cancer, my Dad was dating and talking of marriage. It’s too bizarre and too early for me to accept or to really understand. My two siblings have similar feelings.

So now let me ask you: Why are you reading this? Did the subject title or the first paragraph jump out at you and make you want to read further? Did it grab your attention or conjure up feelings of a possible controversy? Of all of the things in this modern world of information overload, why are you reading this blog entry at this moment? Don’t you have something better to do?

All good writing is compelling and is often created with powerful passion and extraordinary emotion. A good story should be based upon strong core elements that draw the reader into the story. Take, for example, the success of Dan Brown’s novel The DaVinci Code. Controversial? Yes. Compelling? Sure. Something that angers some people, intrigues others, and even drives some to foster faith in religion? You bet. And it becomes a best seller because of these things? Well, DUH!!!

If you want your writing to be compelling, you need to find something to write about that really drives your passions, makes a compelling story, and maybe, just maybe, something that’s a little controversial. Or a lot controversial.

So, am I getting a new Mom? No. I don’t think so. My Dad will likely marry soon, but the new woman in his life won’t be my Mom. I already have one of those. This story is certainly not a wicked stepmother story by any means, but it is a story filled with controversy and passion. Or in other words, it might make a good story.

3 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey Darvell --

To answer your first question, I'm reading your blog because I like you. :)

My husband's mother passed away at the young age of 56, and her husband (not my biological father-in-law, but a step-father-in-law -- It's confusing, I admit) got married very quickly after her death. I thought it was in the poorest possible taste, and yet my husband, who should have been the most affected, was happy for him. Turns out, he'd been praying for his stepdad to find a new wife right away. Am I saying your dad will get remarried soon? No. But sometimes it does happen, and sometimes it's for the best. It doesn't mean they love their departed spouse any less.

W.L.Elliott said...

Our family has a dear friend whose wife, who was dying of cancer, chose his second wife. They had several children to care for, and she knew he couldn't do it alone. As it turns out, the second wife is a dear woman who stepped right into a very unique family situation with grace, understanding and wonderful humor. Mary (or so we'll call her) would have been broken hearted to know that any of her children would have been grudging toward the new wife, because they had been friends for years, and this was a sister who may have not had the chance for an eternal marriage without the graciousness of a loving friend who knew her family and her friend needed each other.

Sometimes even strange situations are for the best...

Anonymous said...

I read it because it had your byline and I've enjoyed your past posts.

My children's grandfather (their father's father, not mine) remarried quickly after his wife/their grandmother died. While it was difficult for them to accept, they realized how unhappy he was. They thought remarriage was better than suicide.