By Darvell Hunt
Writing exercises can be stupid. They can also be fun. Some writing exercises can even be stupid and fun, yet still be worth doing. It's all about teaching yourself to be creative and to think new thoughts.
I found a writing exercise that I found fun (but not stupid!) on Josi Kilpack’s web site (see josikilpack.blogspot.com), which was in response to the same writing exercise posted by Sariah Wilson on the Six LDS Writers and Frog blog (see sixldswriters.blogspot.com). I thought it would be interesting to repeat here. Feel free to do this exercise and post your results below. I even promise not to call your answers stupid (unless, of course, you have stupid answers).
Rules: Use the first letter of your name to answer each of the following. They MUST be real places, names, things...NOTHING made up! If you can't think of anything, skip it. You CAN'T use your name for the boy/girl name question.
1. Famous Athlete: Dennis Rodman
2. 4 letter Word: Darn (after all, this is an LDS writers blog)
3. Street Name: D-Street
4. Color: Dark Green
5. Animal: Dingo
6. Vehicle: Dodge Dart
7. Tropical Location: Dominican Republic
8. College Major: Dance
9. Junk Food: Doritos
10. Things in a Souvenir Shop: Die-cast landmark statues (kind of working that one)
11. Boy Name: Daniel
12. Girl Name: Danielle
13. Movie Title: Dune
14. Occupation: Doctor
15. Flower: Daisy
16. Celebrity: Dom DeLuise
17. Magazine: Discover
18. U.S. City or State: Dover, Delaware
19. Pro Sports Team: Dayton Dragons
20. Something Found in a Kitchen: Dirty Dishes
21. Reason for Being Late: Dog Died
22. Something You Throw Away: Dead Mouse
23. Things You Shout: “Dang, don’t do dat!”
24. Cartoon Character: Donald Duck
Come on, post your answers! Let's see 'em!