Friday, January 18, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

by G.Parker

One of my goals for this year, as mentioned in my blog a week or so ago, stated that I would be working on editing. I have many stories that are complete and just need a good editing to be submitted. I admit -- once I write and 'finish' a story I don't like to look at it again for a while. I need to let it go away from my brain while I work on something else. Then, when I go back to it, it seems new and amazing. I think, "I wrote that?"

This month I'm working on a novel called Jenny of the Wood. Should you like to preview, I do have the first couple of chapters posted at CTRStories.com so you can check it out. This story started as a dream in my husband's head and developed into a story in mine. I'm not really a fantasy writer, I'm more of a contemporary romance writer, but I'm finding I don't have a set genre.

The reason I bring this up, is I've been editing this week. (Finally!) Last night I was able to get through several chapters, and it's like reading it for the first time. I'd forgotten the little details, the plot weaved through the pages. I didn't want to stop when it was time for bed.

This gave me a sense of hope as I turned off my computer. Perhaps those that read my book will feel the same way -- maybe it will be hard for them to put down. I'm hoping that's the reaction. Isn't that the dream of every writer?

So, if you're working on something that you're tired of, perhaps you just need to take a break for a while and try something new. Or, pull out something you finished a while ago and dust it off, get back in the creaky saddle and work at it again. You might find some old friends you'd forgotten -- friends that are still waiting for the master's touch.

2 comments:

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

That is my main problem, I put it away and when I pull it out I get sucked into the story again. Sigh. I have heard that some people go backwards and edit this way. I might try it. Good luck!

Michelle

G. Parker said...

I've never heard of that....it would drive me crazy!! grin. thanks for commenting!