Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Passion

By C. LaRene Hall

For the past few weeks, I’ve been talking with some relatives about the targets I’m aiming to accomplish this year, and it's been interesting to hear their reactions. Some of them couldn’t believe that I had scrap booking as one of those important things to finish. I asked them, “Why do you bother taking pictures if you aren’t going to put them in a scrap book so your children can look at them?”

I still shake my head and wonder why anyone would take the time to snap hundreds of pictures, and go to the expense of developing them, if all they were going to do was leave them in the envelope or put them into a drawer. What a waste.

To me, that is the same as spending time writing a story and then not sharing it with anyone. I’m glad I decided that I would send at least one story a month out to a magazine or book for publication. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but I don’t finish many stories in a month because I sometimes do research instead of always writing.

I’m as passionate about scrap booking as I am about writing. One good thing about the pictures is I usually put them away in a book, and the job is complete, but the writing never ends. For sure this year I’m going to send my stories out for others to read. There is no sense writing a story if no one is going to read it.

2 comments:

Christine Thackeray said...

You are right about a lot of people writing and just stuffing their work in a drawer, so to speak. I have a good friend who has written four or five massive manuscripts but has never sent out a single proposal. Yesterday I was trying on shoes and started chatting with a women. Somehow we got on the subject of writing and she said she had eight completed manuscripts. The only good thing about it is that those of us trying to get published don't need to compete with these great "closet" writers, only against the average joes who actually send their stuff in.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Connie,
Good luck on your goals this year. You go girl, get those submissions sent off!