Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stepping Stones

By C. LaRene Hall

Life is a grindstone whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us. --Thomas Holdcroft

When I read this, I came to a fast stop. It has certainly been hard for me to pick up and get going this year. I don’t want anything to grind me down. Instead, I want the grindstone to shape and smooth me a bit.

I guess that means it needs to polish me, and I need to do something since it won’t do it just because I ask. A long time ago, I learned anything of value is worth working for. To me writing is valuable.

I’m going to take the leap, and uncover a few stepping stones to help me on my way. I’ve already taken the first step by signing up for the upcoming LDStorymakers Writer Conference. Their workshops always give me a giant boost.

I’ve also started the next step and that is deciding what I’m sending out this month. Now I just need to finish it and send it on its way. I guess I should follow the advice of President Kimball, “Do it now!”

I’ve been dragging my feet with a story that needs some work on the dialogue. Maybe that’s something I need to fix. I think about it every day, but I dread doing it because I don’t know how to tell when I have enough dialect. I know a little goes a long way.

The next stepping-stone that I need to take is working on my next novel. I started it and I’ve done enough research since I visited the setting of the area. I honestly don’t know why I can’t go any farther. I just sit and stare into space.

I finished most of the other loose ends before the new year so now I just need to let my head and heart join together and take one small step at a time in finding new ideas. Once I set my mind to it, I usually can do what I need to do.

1 comment:

Rachelle Christensen said...

Go for it Connie! This is a great post and I loved the quote.