Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hawaiian Entertainment

By C. LaRene Hall

I promised that this week I would tell you about the entertainment. When I was a young girl, my parents enrolled me in dancing classes – tap, ballet, and also hula. I was actually a good dancer, and have wished many times that I had pursued dancing as a career.

For me, the best entertainment is watching someone dance, so of course, I loved Hawaii. Jack and I attended two luaus – one in Kauai and one at the Polynesian Cultural Center. With the food also came entertainment. I wish the evening shows could have lasted all night.

We also enjoyed a hula show on the beach one evening. Another night, we attended what was claimed ‘Waikiki’s Hottest Ticket’ – Society of Seven at the Outrigger Showroom across from the International Market Place. The seven men performed impersonations and comedy acts, Broadway show tunes and popular hits of today.

For the most part, I liked the show presented. The biggest problem was our table was one inch away from the stage. I’m serious, I’ve never sat that close to someone performing before. For me the music was a little bit louder than I would have liked. Also, I’m not used to a singer reaching out to shake my hand. I really didn’t want to be part of the show.

As I mentioned they did impersonations – to name a few – Elvis Presley, Sonny and Cher, and of course, the Rat Pack. The one imitating Dean Martin stood swaying with his drink right over the table where I sat. As you have already guessed, yes I did get a bit wet. In fact, my entire right leg was as wet as the table and stage.

As a whole, the entertainment in Hawaii was enjoyable. I still love hula dancers and yes, I have some stories written about the Polynesian people. I’ve often felt that I was misplaced and for some reason was born on the wrong continent. The stork missed the islands and instead dropped me at a home in a small town in Utah. I have always wanted to go back to my little grass shack.

I also want to mention that I have my own blog page and hope you will drop in. The link for it is http://clhall.blogspot.com/

No comments: