Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Right or Wrong

By C. LaRene Hall

With the recent natural disasters in our country, it amazes me how, even with modern devices and equipment, man is still unable to predict the weather accurately. Sometimes they are right on, but other times they’re only close. Because of this, people often don’t believe what they hear, so they decide to ride out the storm thinking the weather people are exaggerating. Now, many of them are in trouble. If, everyone would remember that God is still in control and pray about such decisions, we, and our love ones could stay safe.

I’m sure you are wondering what this has to do with writing. I often find myself like those unbelievers. I hate to take something out of my story. Often I believe it’s a good paragraph, and it took so long to write and get it perfect. Why would I want to delete it?

Maybe it doesn’t move the plot forward or maybe you don’t need it. If someone else says to delete it, you should take the advice seriously. I’ve always heard other writers say that it is difficult to hit the button that will take it all away. I believe that if it is boring to someone else, it probably is. Of course, you can ride out the storm thinking you are right and they don’t know anything. If you do, you may find out the hard way and never get anyone to publish your book. I’m not willing to take that chance. If someone tells me my paragraph isn’t needed I really think hard about it. Yes, they could be wrong, but they could also be right.

No comments: