Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Comfort Zone

by C. LaRene Hall

Many times throughout the years, I’ve felt overwhelmed when asked to serve in the church, but never as much as I am now. Usually I’m anxious to try something different, and love new challenges, but being the stake music chairman is certainly out of my league. Yeah, I know I can do it because when they set me apart they said I could, but it’s scary.

It feels like my musical training was over a hundred years ago and my memory isn’t so great anymore. The only skills I have going for me is that through the years, I’ve learned how to delegate and I’m a good organizer. In high school, this calling would have been a cinch. Weekly I performed in front of other people, singing a solo, playing the violin or dancing a jig. Music was my life.

At this point in my life, I’m way out of my comfort zone and I’d rather sit behind my computer and write a story. I probably don’t know how to write any better than I understand all the musical terms, but it’s safe and relaxing. No one is watching me. If my writing stinks, I don’t have to show it to anyone. I can throw it out, or delete it with one quick click of a button.

Writing is comfortable and fun. I’m happy and content when I’m in front of my computer. It’s a cozy secure feeling. There’s nothing I’d rather do than write 24/7.

4 comments:

ali cross said...

LOL Connie. I get why you'd feel safe in your writing. BUT what about the submitting part? That part is seriously outside of my comfort zone for me.

Congrats on your new calling--I'm sure you'll be wonderful!

Nichole Giles said...

Connie, you're so talented, I know you can do it all. Even though I'm sure you don't always want to.

And since you're the submission queen, I know you'll find writing success very soon. The rest...well, it will get easier and you'll be blessed for your willingness.

Nichole Giles said...

Connie, you're so talented, I know you can do it all. Even though I'm sure you don't always want to.

And since you're the submission queen, I know you'll find writing success very soon. The rest...well, it will get easier and you'll be blessed for your willingness.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Connie.