Friday, July 10, 2009

Worth a few Cents of thought


by G.Parker

We all learned about Benjamin Franklin in school, but I think many have forgotten how much we owe this man. Can you list all of his inventions? Or how many quotes he is responsible for? He was one of the most amazing men of his time, and it is simply mind boggling all the things he accomplished.

With writing in mind, it should be noted that he is responsible for over 206 quotes that we still use today. I think it's interesting how the language hasn't really changed in their use. For example:

A penny saved is a penny earned.

A place for everything, everything in its place.

A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats. (my family, made up of lawyers, especially enjoys this one...grin)

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

God helps those who help themselves.

Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

He does not possess wealth; it possesses him.

He that rises late must trot all day.

Honesty is the best policy.

And these two that I'll end with:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.

He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book.


I think the thought that doing something worth writing about is what a writer always needs to hear. Life is full and rich enough...there is plenty to write about.

The last quote is food for thought. Imagine someone who is able to do both -- compose himself and a book -- the kind of wisdom that would come as a result.

Those are my thoughts for the day. Next week I'll be talking about John Adams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin Franklin was a wonderful person and patriot. I love quotes and these are some of the best. Thank you!

Carolyn V. said...

Wow! I didn't know he was responsible for so many quotes (I quote many of those to my children - "especially a place for everything"). He was a great man.