Friday, October 23, 2009

Feed the Need


by G.Parker

In the past year I've had some struggles with my writing. This morning I came to the realization that part of the reason is that I've forgotten to feed the dream, and my baby is dying. Of course it took my wonderful husband to point out the fact.

Regardless, I have not fed my dream of being a writer. I neglected to attend any workshops or conferences. I haven't been writing on a consistent basis (other than this blog, grin) and I didn't take any time to read any books on writing. I haven't even had the time to really read (which if you've been reading my blogs you'll remember me mentioning).

So what do you do in this situation? You take stock. You look at the pantry and see what the food situation is.

Right now mine is pretty bare.

As Nicole mentioned in yesterday's post, Nanowrimo is coming up next month. It's a time I usually treasure and look forward to. A month that my husband puts up with and grits his teeth. I generally have a story waiting and primed to start writing on, excited and nervous to get going. This will be my sixth year participating. I have managed to pull it off each year (though I can't find the one for 2004, I don't think they had icons that year), though some have been harder than others.

This year I don't even have an inkling. I've gone and signed in, started up my "romance writers who are writing clean romance" forum, but I still don't know what I'm going to write.

Sigh.

My husband asked me if I was going to a writing seminar in 2010. I asked him what was the point? He said I needed to feed my baby. Before it died completely.

I think he's right. So -- we are launching a new feeding program. I'm just glad this baby doesn't require nightly feedings, I'm getting too old for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful spouse to support you and remind you of your "baby." Sometimes it takes someone else reminding us to feed our talent to see when we've neglected it. Sometimes it just takes the faith of someone else to see us through. Keep going. It matters.

Nichole Giles said...

You go, Gaynell. We'll be writing buddies and get those books written.

Feed that baby and we'll see you at the conference. (Right?)

Nichole