Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Turning Over a New Leaf

By C. LaRene Hall

Much has happened in my life the past two weeks. It’s never easy to lose someone that you care for. Although we all knew my mom was going to die soon, it still took us by surprise. I’ve realized that I have many friends who have been there for me. Thanks to each of you for your prayers and support.

Shortly before my mother died, I ran across a verse I want to share with you.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

What kind of destiny will you have?

I’ve seen more people that I care deeply for this past week for than I usually do in a year. Watching the actions of my grandchildren, I found myself thinking about the habits they were developing – their character. Some of them were making great choices and others were not. The destiny ahead will be full of wonderful things for some. I wish it could be so for everyone. I wonder what I can do to help those in need.

Most of my habits are good, but I do have a few flaws. I guess I need to help myself first. I’ve been lax in my writing this past year. I think now is a good time to turn over a new leaf.

2 comments:

Evelyn Curtis said...

My condolences for the loss of your mother. Mothers are very special people. Aren't we blessed to know we can be with them again?

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf, too. I guess it's a perfect time to do that, with all of them littering the ground.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. My heart's with you.