Monday, November 16, 2009

A Thank You to Valor Publishing Group

By Ali Cross

Authors Incognito is a group of LDS writers who have all attended an LDStorymakers conference. Storymakers has provided many of us with the education and guidance to help us keep writing—and to improve our craft along the way. Many AI members have recently received publishing contracts through Valor Publishing Group.

Valor is a fledgling company intent on publishing books in the national market, but with values and ethics dictated by their faith. National publishing coupled with down-home values? It might seem like an oxymoron, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if they succeeded? What an opportunity for LDS writers, and others, to write and sell books that are a benefit to readers everywhere.

Valor is putting a toe into virtually every genre this next year. If you are publishing with Valor and I’ve failed to include you in my list, please comment and I will correct it.

Michele Ashman Bell, Summer in Paris (YA)
Daron D. Fraley, The Chronicles of Gan: The Thorn (Speculative Fiction)
Karen E. Hoover, The Sapphire Flute: Book 1 of the Wolfchild Saga (YA Fantasy)
Kimberly Job, I’ll Know You By Heart (Romance)
Alison Palmer, The Prodigal Son (General Fiction)
Tristi Pinkston, Secret Sisters Mysteries: Secret Series (Mystery)
Mark Shurtleff, Am I Not a Man? The Dred Scott Story (Historical Fiction)
Christine K. Bryant, Blood Bound: Keeper of the Crystor (Adult Fantasy)
Danyelle Ferguson, (dis)Abilities in the Church: A Guide for Families and Church Leaders (LDS Non Fiction)

Now, I can add myself to this list. The Devil’s Daughter (YA Paranormal) will be released in July.

Many people have asked me why I chose to publish with Valor when I could have gone with a national publisher. One of the biggest reasons is because Valor didn’t require me to compromise my values in order to publish my book. Writing for the young adult market can be challenging in a world that thinks teenagers want darker, dirtier, grittier books. Personally, I don’t believe the world is right on this—I think teenagers read books like that because that’s what there is, not because that’s what they want.

I’m grateful that I’ll be able to hold my head high in Relief Society, speak to young women without having to apologize for my stories, and especially to face my Heavenly Father one day knowing that I didn’t sully the waters any further by contributing more muck. Instead, I am so glad I have the opportunity to publish with a company that supports me in writing clean stories.

Thank you Candace, BJ and Tristi for establishing this company and giving so many LDS writers, many of whom are AI members, an opportunity to publish quality clean literature in the national market.

3 comments:

Keith N Fisher said...

congrats! Good luck with the book. I think Valor is great too.

Darvell Hunt said...

Good luck. I'm impressed with Valor of late, too. So much that I've also submitted to them.

Let us know how it goes!

Darvell

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ali & other Valor Writers! I wish all of you the best success.