Friday, November 13, 2009

You Have More Strength Than You Know



by G.Parker

Last week I had my first weight training with a personal trainer. She had me lifting 20 lb weights in a back rowing thing. I almost couldn't do it -- in fact, I had to finish my last reps with a lighter weight. I was supposed to do it three days later, and the idea filled me with dread. I knew how hard it had been to do it, and figured it was only going to be harder. My arms still ached so badly that it seemed ridiculous.

The whole day I planned to use lighter weights, and justify it when I saw her next. Then I reminded myself that paying someone to train me and then not doing what they told me was pretty much as waste of money -- so I decided to try it with the original weight.

I actually did all three sets with the weights...and it was easier than it had been the first time. I mentioned it to the trainer that was there, and he congratulated me, saying that it does get easier with time.

It made me think of writing and the Nanowrimo we've been talking about. This is my sixth year of doing this craziness, and you'd think it would be easier each year. Last year was a struggle, but this year, the words have just flowed. I'm finally ahead of my scheduled word count, and I guess I should be thankful that I've been sick...grin.

My count is up to 28229 words and I'm not worried about finishing within the deadline for the first time in several years.

I've discovered that I am stronger than I thought I was. And so are you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally needed this post. Thank you.