Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Second Goal

by C. LaRene Hall

My second goal for the year is usually fairly easy for me at the beginning of the year, but after a while I get side tracked and preserving my physical health by doing all the things that I should such as exercise goes by the way side.

At first, this year I was having a difficult time because my treadmill was in the kitchen and because of Jack’s health, I couldn’t leave it down for easy access. It was in the way. That never works – if I have to get it ready for use, I never do it. At least I had a reason why I was ignoring its beckoning call. It was just too darn heavy to lift down and back up before and after each exercise session.

Last week I had my son move the treadmill into the family room where I can leave it down all the time. Now I have no excuse. The entire room has all my exercise stuff, and now I have no reason to resist the thing that my body needs. That was the plan.

Sorry, I must be human because I’m still resisting. I hardly ever go into the family room because we had to move the television and Jack’s chair into the living room. Now, I’m using the excuse that now there isn’t a television to watch. Guess what? When it was in the kitchen, there wasn’t a television. During exercising time, I usually read a children’s book. Since I write children’s books, I should be reading them. So what is my problem?

Beats me. I guess I’m not committed enough yet. This is something I have to do because later this year I have to walk on the treadmill for the doctor so I had better just get with it. I really have no idea why I’m not doing this because I know that I need to do it if I want to preserve my health. I’m eating healthy, just not doing the exercise part of this New Year’s Resolution.

Writing should also be a daily exercise. It’s something that is good for every writer. We might not want to do it, but it’s good for us.

3 comments:

ali cross said...

It's interesting how I love to write, and sometimes, I just don't want to. Which IS the same as exercising for me. I always feel so much happier and relaxed - in all ways better - after I've exercised. It's the DOING it that's the problem. Writing is often the same way for me ;)

Thanks for reminding me to keep my priorities straight - even if I don't like it ;)

And, ((hugs)) Connie. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Jack is home and things are getting settled.

I feel the same way ali does. Sometimes I just don't want to. Whether it's writing, exercising, or doing the dishes. Now and then, it feels good to play hooky but not nearly as much as the satisfaction of getting it done.

C. LaRene Hall said...

Thanks - I appreciate both of your comments. You're right, it does feel better if you just do it, and we should all keep our priorities straight. That doesn't mean that I will, because I'm still resisting. I know life will get better.