Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Read Scriptures



By C. LaRene Hall

I love reading, and once I remember to open my scriptures, I love what I find there. The question for me is – Why do I ignore that large black book that holds such wonderful stories? Why is this so hard for me to do daily?

Most of you probably don’t have a problem with this. Because I do, I decided that this had to be one of my goals/resolutions for the year. I’m reading the Old Testament, which I haven’t completed for a very long time. Once I thought if I didn’t start at the beginning, it would be easier. I was wrong. I still didn’t get to the end before the year was over. This year I started with the very first page, and read more than 25 pages in one sitting. I actually didn’t want to stop, but since I had some place to be I had to put my book away.

My husband hates reading of any kind, so he’s no help to me. I wish I had a solution to make this easy, but I don’t. I would invite anyone with some helpful information as to how to make scripture reading easy to please comment.

When I’m teaching a lesson in church, I read from the scriptures more often. After an especially inspiring meeting, I come home and reach for them.

I know that daily persistence helps. Somehow, you have to make it a habit, and then it comes easy.

I found a helpful chart that lists the total pages/chapters for all LDS Scriptures in the standard size, English text.

LDS Scriptures Pages Chapters
Book of Mormon 531 239
Doctrine and Covenants 291 138
Pearl of Great Price 59 15
Old Testament 1184 929
New Testament 403 260
Entire Standard Works 2468 1581

Trust me to pick the largest book to read. Oh well, it’s too late to change my mind now. I wonder how long it’s going to take me to read 1,184 pages or 929 chapters. I suppose that means if I want to keep up I need to read about four pages a day since I’m not very far yet. I think that still leaves me some time for writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a lot of pages/chapters. No wonder I find it daunting too!