Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Don’t Overwhelm Readers

by C. LaRene Hall

It drives me nuts when I’m reading a book and the author tells me everything right up front. Yet, this is one mistake that I make when I’m writing. I give too much information at one time. Instead, I should give a little piece in the first chapter and just a little bit at a time throughout the entire story.

I know that if you give the details and facts in your book slowly, your audience will be able to digest the information before you give them more. I certainly don’t want to overwhelm my readers by giving them more than they can handle. Wouldn’t it be nice if I could say, I always do it right.

I’ve learned that you really don’t have to put in every detail. Too much content can result in going off on a tangent. When you cram, too much into your story sometimes you can confuse your readers. Make sure what you write is important. When you keep focused, your reader will actually enjoy the story better.

Anyway, that’s my opinion. Take it or leave it. For now, I’m going to try harder so I’m not overwhelming my readers.

2 comments:

Cluttered Brain said...

You are exactly right.
Sometimes I am guilty of doing the same thing.
Grr.
Thanks for reminding me how to write.

Anonymous said...

This is great advice because I hate being beat with the obvious stick. I like subtlety. I like feeling like I'm smart enough to figure it out.