Friday, April 09, 2010

Downtime


by G.Parker

We are always talking about ways to improve our writing. One of the things we've mentioned, but less often, is how to rejuvenate ourselves so that our writing is better.

Your brain is like a well oiled machine, but even so, it needs a break from stress and work. This week has been one of those times for me. It's spring break here, and my children are out of school, which means I'm off work. Much as I like my job, I like days off even better. I've finally been able to catch up on my sleep (which has been difficult the past month or so) and my house work (boys are great workers when there's game time involved) and I’ve actually been able to read for enjoyment.

I even had an idea on for the story I'm working on, which is something that hasn't happened for a while. So my quick suggestion for today is to remember there needs to be down time for the brain and faculties. You'll write better if you feel refreshed and ready to go.

Until next week.

No comments: