Monday, May 10, 2010

Called to Write

By Ali Cross

At the recent BYU Women’s Conference, I had the opportunity to hear Sister Julie Beck, General Relief Society President, speak. She taught many wonderful principles among which was the suggestion that we spend at least some time in the scriptures every day. She encouraged us to not only read the scriptures, but to study them, and she suggested a way to get us started.

Sister Beck recommended that we get an inexpensive copy of the Book of Mormon and three colored pens or pencils. At the front of your book, write the following questions in their own color:

  1. Who am I?
  2. What are my responsibilities?
  3. How can I fulfill my responsibilities?
As you read the Book of Mormon, highlight the passages you find that answer these questions, and write the notes at the back of the book.

I’ve been amazed at what I’ve found in my short time putting this suggestion into practice. In 1Nephi verse 1, it reads “I make a record of my proceedings in my days,” and in verse 3 I read, “And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.”

These scriptures, to my mind, answered the question “What are my responsibilities?” And they’ve inspired me to action.

Not only do these scriptures make me want to faithfully keep a journal, but they’ve also prompted me to consider the value of the commercial projects I am writing.

Mine, and yours, is the call to write. Perhaps because of our propensity to put thoughts to paper, we can, and should, keep wonderful journals that are steeped in the stories and remembrances of our family. One day, those words will be as precious as gold to our children.

But, the stories we write for public consumption will also stand as a testament of what we believed and valued in this life.

We have been called to write, so write what you will—just be sure your work can stand the test of time and will be something you can always feel proud to claim as your own.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Great post. I'm afraid my journal is not as full of stories as it should be (writing fiction is much more fun), but at least I am writing in it! I totally agree about being called to write. I believe we really can make a difference in this world.

Kimberly Job said...

Love this idea, Ali. I too often doubt myself even when I'm doing what I know I've been called to do.

Anonymous said...

Sounds eye-opening! Great post, Ali. I'm not sure about my calling to write and I know I hate journaling but I love the idea of studying scriptures that way. =]

Karen Dupaix said...

The way I see it, there are going to be all kinds of books out there, and who is going to write all the decent books with great messages?

WE ARE! The world needs us.