Monday, July 26, 2010

Our Guest ~ C.K. Bryant

Christine (C.K) Bryant has always been a writer. Even before she could compose a single word with a pen, she scribbled her version of cursive along the open page, just to see what it looked like. She spent her teenage years swiping her father's old, black Royal typewriter so that her muse could breathe life into what her vivid imagination had created.

She's spent the last 23 years married to the man of her dreams and raising their 2 sons. After helping run the family restaurant for most of their marriage, Christine has finally broken away to pursue her dream of being an author.


When she's not with her family or tickling the computer keys, she loves camping, reading, scrapbooking, listening to all kinds of music and making new friends. She is currently living in the middle of sage brush and lava rock with a spectacular view of the Snake River Canyon in South Central Idaho.

You can visit Christine's Blog here.

~ ♥ ~

Finding Balance

About eighteen months ago I left my job at our family restaurant and decided to give my writing career my full attention. I poured my heart and soul into every word I wrote, taking more and more time away from the important things in my life. For several months, writing was the first thing I thought of in the morning and the last thing that crossed my mind before I went to sleep. Some nights I woke at wee hours of the morning only to get up and sneak into my office to write some more. I was obsessed and determined to get published.

After the highs of getting a contract for my book, and then the lows of losing it, I decided it was time to slow things down and reevaluate my routine and my priorities. Much to my shame, there were a few things and people who were being neglected and ignored. I took a few weeks off, cleaned my house, set up a schedule my family could live with and set back to writing. But after only a few weeks, I realized there was still something wrong. Seriously wrong.

It took a trip to the doctor for a sinus infection for me to realize I'd been neglecting my health. I'd gained more weight than I'd suspected--way more--and my blood pressure was through the roof. I'd forgotten to take care of ME.

Since that time I've taken more time from my writing to concentrate on creating a diet I can live with, added some exercise into my daily routine and continue to take the vitamins and medication I should have been on years ago. I'm feeling better and the weight is slowly coming off.

What I've realized in all this is that we need balance in our lives. I believe that with anything we do, we should create time for other things and people. It just isn't good to consume our entire being with one thing. It's not healthy for our bodies or our minds. So take a walk, go to lunch with a friend, watch a movie with the family or just sleep in until noon one day. Your muse will love you for the break.

~ ♥ ~

Thank you, Christine, for being our guest!

Next week, we are excited to have Deborah Davis as our featured blogger.

If you would like to be our guest, email Ali for information.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely words of wisdom! I have always had an issue of putting all of my time into one thing. It could be writing, reading, scrapbooking, blogging,and anything else that I enjoy. I have been trying to focus more on finding a healthy balance. It is good to know that I am not alone!
Thanks for the post!

ali cross said...

Great post Chris, and Evelyn, thanks for sharing your experience too. It is so easy to fall in love with something and just give everything we have to that something. But we ARE so much happier if we don't obsess quite so much. Guess it's that variety is the spice of life thing, right?

Easier said than done though ;)

Thanks again Chris! ♥

RaShelle Workman said...

Great post!!! Thanks Chris. =D

Christine said...

Thanks for having me on the Blogck, Ali. It's been fun. And thanks Evelyn for sharing and to RaShelle for stopping by.

Rebecca Talley said...

I agree. It's hard not to become obsessed with a manuscript trying to make it "perfect." But, moderation in all things is best. I can't concentrate on writing if my kids need attention, my house is a mess, or my laundry is out of ocntrol. I think we're more productive when we have that balance.

Thanks for your post!

Valerie Ipson said...

So important to remember! Thanks!

kbrebes said...

Good Advice, Christine. I admit that ever since I came back from StoryMakers, I've been obsessed--and cranky at times as a result. I've NEVER bitten my nails in my life, and suddenly--they're nubs! So, I will take your advice and try to slow down and find balance. Thanks! : )