Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Change of Seasons

by C. LaRene Hall




I’m sure not many writers are up and about in the early am (unless they have school kids or work) because most of us are still awake during the witching hour. That’s when we do our best writing.

This morning after opening the blinds at 7 am, I could see the wind rustling the golden leaves of the tree in the front yard, and my first thoughts were, “Its autumn.”

I took time to look towards the eastern mountains, and was actually glad that the sun hadn’t poked its head up past them yet. Today I could drive to work without the sun blocking my view. On my short drive, my thoughts turned to the book that I’m currently reading. It’s a wonderful story and covers about a two year timeframe. There have been a few scenes about snow, and rain, but nothing significant about the different seasons.

Then I thought back to the stories I’ve written and realized that sometimes I start out describing in detail the beginning scenes, but often as the story progresses, I forget to write about the weather and beautiful sights along the way. When was the last time you read a story that as time progresses the author describes the different seasons?

I love all four seasons that Utah experiences, but autumn is my favorite. I know the stories that I’ve written would be so much better if I had remembered to add these changes as they come about in the life of my characters. There aren’t many days in my life that I don’t ponder and look at the beauty surrounding me. Surely, my characters feel the same.

2 comments:

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Most of the novels I read don't evolve through several seasons. I don't miss it because in Phoenix there are two seasons--hot, and not hot. *grin*

Unknown said...

I'm going to be honest with you, I actually have not put a lot of thought in that direction. I have even been trying to recall any books that I have read that describes the seasons like you mention. Interesting. Maybe I'll try and focus on that a little bit more!