Friday, December 31, 2010

Don't Look Back, Unless...

by G.Parker


I saw a snippet of an article on LDS.org that said we shouldn't dwell on the past.  I gathered they were indicating one should move on with hope and faith in the future.

I figure that's the best way to go about things.  This has been an amazing year.  My personal life has been absolutely crazy, though my work life hasn't been much less.  My writing hasn't been very productive other than participation in NaNoWriMo, but it's been okay.  I know there's hope for next year.

Since looking back invariably causes regret and unhappiness, I'm determined to look at things differently this time.  There's nothing that can be done about 2010 now.  It's over.  The old man has breathed his last, giving room to the new baby of 2011.  It's really strange to have that in print, by the way.  Any of us raised on the movie 2001 knows what I mean.  Anyway -- now comes the time when everyone makes all sorts of new year resolutions and goes crazy with the new goals.

If you remember anything I wrote last year, you will note that I don't make resolutions.  I don't like making up a list of things that I know aren't going to happen.  I need to make a list of things that I want to work on, goals I want to set, but not resolutions.  

If it helps in setting the goals and desires for the new year to look back and contemplate, then that's a good thing.  If it only discourages you and makes you frustrated, then you should avoid it.  It won't do any good to bring yourself down.

Personally, I'm hoping to finish two books this coming year, get one of them submitted for self publishing (through the NaNo promotion) and another one submitted for Christmas publishing.  Nothing too ambitious, but far more than I've done this past year.  So, we're good.  At least I have a plan and goal in sight.  

How about you?  What are your writing goals for 2011?  Let us know, we'd like to hear.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent read. Goals can be accomplished through motivation, hard work and dedication likewise, resolutions.