Thursday, January 06, 2011

Moving Forward

by Cheri Chesley

The last week or so I've wrestled with my time and money issues, and how they affect my writing. I had pretty much settled on a path, but it's a painful choice, so I asked my husband for a blessing. I needed guidance--or, as we say thanks to my son--guidness.

Heavenly Father loves me. And I know He has a sense of humor. He left it up to me. I sort of suspected He would.

Monday, I fine tuned the first chapter of The Tyrant King and sent it out to three friends for a test read. The responses I got back were overwhelmingly positive (yes, I know I sent it to friends) with very few suggestions as to how to improve it. Mind you, before I sent it to them I read it a few times and I really like it. We're not going to go through this process for every chapter, but I like to know my first chapter accomplishes all those things a first chapter should.

Then, late last night, I received an email from a girl who had gotten The Peasant Queen as a gift from her grandfather for Christmas. She brought tears to my eyes with the sweetness, humor and encouragement she gave me in that short email. It's a humbling experience to get your first piece of fan mail from someone who doesn't know you, or know someone who knows you.

I've renewed my promise to Heavenly Father to write good things, to keep on the path He has set before me, and to always remember Him in my words and deeds. I know I can't go wrong with that plan.

And neither can you. :)

3 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Good for you for making that pledge, Cheri. The blessings will pour in. They might not all be financial, but in the end, they will be innumerable.

Angie said...

A perfect plan! Thanks for a wonderful post, Cheri.

Michael Knudsen said...

Definitely inspiration for that young girl to send her email at that time!