Sunday, January 09, 2011

Smile About Similes


So, how 'bout them similes?

Seriously, though. Similes are a great literary device that can add color and humor to your work.

I remember the first time I was introduced to similes. My 4th grade teacher carefully explained that they were comparisons and usually had the words "as" or "like" in them. She gave some examples: "As quick as a fox;" "as smooth as silk," "as wise as an owl." Then we were instructed to come up with our own similes. I wrote mine down and turned it in. It made the teacher laugh. I had written, "as shiny as a bald man's head." Her husband happened to be bald. Who knew?

I enjoy looking for similes in writing. I recently found one in a local magazine, it went something like, "as quickly as Lady Gaga changes outfits." I recently finished reading Matched, by Allie Condie. I enjoyed the book very much. Allie peppers her very good writing with similes. I won't quote any here because my daughter has the commandeered book and refuses to let it go.

Your challenge for today, should you decide to accept it, is to start noticing similes and start inserting them into your writing. Heck, we could even have a contest here. Let's see who can come up with the best simile in the comments below!

4 comments:

Marshall Lynch said...

oh the cat was very cute i love her smile.
Edina MN Realty | Gift Baskets

O4U Peru said...

Your blog is as nice as mine

LOL Please take a look at my baby's blog

Cheers! from sadiemabel.com
search engine optimisation hampshire

Michael Knudsen said...

I love simile as if it was my own child. Whenever I think of a nifty new one, I'm like a like a famished shark in a sunken cattle transport ship.

Karen Dupaix said...

I love the shark and cattle transport ship! Awesome.