Friday, February 25, 2011

Versatility

by G.Parker


My life is highly influenced by what I read, watch, or do.  I'm sure you're much the same.  Especially when it comes to writing.  I find that what I write is directly influenced by what I've read recently. 
Currently, I'm listening to CD's of Richard Paul Evan's books Finding Noel and The Gift.  I've been a fan of his off and on, since reading the Christmas Box.  I haven't kept up with all of his books because I haven't had funds, or time, depending on if it was available at the library.  Now that my job has me driving a lot, I've discovered the magic of books on tape, and have been listening to books since Christmas.  This is also what made me think of the blog about who is going to be your voice for your book.  Fortunately, Evan's second book I'm listening to is being read out loud by someone else, and it's going much easier on the ears. 
Today I finished one and started another, and found myself a bit surprised by his subject matter.  For some reason I had pegged him as a cookie-cutter type writer.  He'd found a formula that worked, and most of his stuff was the same.  Perhaps that's true - but it really isn't.  While both these stories focus on Christmas (sort of), they are totally different in approach and how they unfold.  It's impressive.  
My point after rambling, is this - versatility is what brings lasting readers.  If you write the same stuff, just changing names and places, people aren't going to be likely to keep buying what you're selling.  But if you change the circumstances, type of characters, etc., then they are going to want to see how you spin a story each time.   
Do you always write from a woman/man's point of view?  Is it always first person or do you switch around depending on the story?  
I find that most of my work is focused through a woman's point of view.  I'm a woman - so shoot me.  But, I also have discovered I like to write in first person.  It drives some people in my critique group crazy, but they still like it and want more.  
For some reason, after writing in first person, it's hard to step back and write from outside the head.  But that's me...
Just a thought for the day.  Versatility is what lasts.

1 comment:

Jolene Perry said...

The only books I've loved NOT in first person is Harry Potter. I want to be "in" there :)
I wrote a whole book because of a CD I was listening to (John Mayer, if you're curious) and found myself suddenly writing YA after reading a slough of young adult books in a row.
It's funny that it took me a while to realize what I was doing :)