Thursday, May 05, 2011

Insert Title Here

by Cheri Chesley

I found myself completely title-dry for this post. Maybe something will hit me before I finish.

In case you wondered, I will NOT be attending the LDStorymakers Conference this weekend. It's been a bad year, financially, since last conference, and I really had to pick and choose what conferences I can attend this year. As it turns out, I'll be hitting a couple of fall conferences, but I just couldn't swing Storymakers this year.

At this moment, I do plan to crash the AI mix n mingle tomorrow, and I just may bring a cheesecake. :)

Being a writer means sacrifice. One of the biggest is giving up whatever it is that keeps us from writing--or giving up something else we enjoy so we can make time for writing. It means not always being able to do the fun author events, even though we want to do them all. It means, sometimes, a little less time with family, especially if we're working with a deadline. It means giving up some of our comforts--like staying at home--to sit in public places and sign our book for a handful (or a room ful) of strangers. We do all of this in the hopes that the rewards that come from writing will, someday, outweigh the sacrifices.

Or we do it because we'd suffer horrible emotional costs if we don't. I'm a much happier person when I write, and it makes for a more harmonious home. But don't go around thinking I'm making a huge sacrifice there. I love to write.

Somehow, I ended up with two books to edit this week. I'm not doing well with my timing. It's been a busy week, but, since I plan to stay far from my internet--email, Facebook, etc--this weekend to avoid the constant reminders of where I'm NOT going to be, I will have time to get a lot done. Hopefully, by Monday, I'll have at least one polished book ready to go.

Most excitingly, I plan to start a new rough draft before the end of the month. Looking forward to it. I love the creative process at its best.

Everyone who's going, have a great time and Storymakers, and learn tons!

1 comment:

Angie said...

We'll miss you. Hope you have a good and productive weekend. I love the title of the post. I feel that way so often!