Friday, June 03, 2011

Back to the Slush Pile

by G.Parker
Okay - perhaps it's not the slush pile, but it's the stack of stories that you've finished and set aside for a time when you can get to the re-writes.  You know what I mean, the stories that you finally typed 'the end' on, and don't want to look at for another minute because you'll toss the pages in the garbage.

I have several of these.  Many of them have already been through my critique group and I haven't been able to make myself do the rewrite.  Some people really like doing rewrites - I don't.  It takes up SO much time.  Time that could be used to do original writing - if that makes any sense.  I just have such a hard time with re-writes.  I keep thinking that I'm falling behind on the story I want to finish, and then when I finish it, I don't even want to think about reworking it.  Sigh.
I guess that's where discipline comes in.  And it's something I struggle with.  Just when I think I've got the daily thing down, family and work and stuff get in the way and I get side railed again.  Then, for some reason, it takes me forever to get back in the grove and I loose even more time.  I really think we need to look at the eternal perspective and think of how to work with no clocks hanging around...my husband likes to remind me;  "time - a measurement of the immeasurable." 
Anyway - If you have a stash of stuff to work on like I do, this is the month to get it pulled out and get working on it.  If you're in the middle of something that is progressing well, then perhaps you need to wait.  But if you're only procrastinating because you hate the idea of what lies ahead...just jump in.  It's kind of like the cold water theory...it's a lot easier when you jump in rather than go a toe at a time.  
Or so I've heard...I've always been the toe person.

No comments: