Friday, July 15, 2011

Potter Mania

by G.Parker


Okay.  If you have been totally disconnected from electronics and clueless to what is going on in the world, then you will NOT know that this is the day the final installment of the Harry Potter franchise movie comes out.  Officially it was at midnight, and there was much craziness in the cities with parties and celebrations galore.  If I were 20 again, (and had money to toss) I would have been interested in doing the whole big movie marathon that the megaplex theaters were holding.  But alas, I have a brain that requires a little more stimulation than that, and a hubby who doesn't think that's a value related to the money spent (which I'd have to agree with at this point), so I didn't go.
I don't know how many of you are even planning on seeing this last movie.  Personally, I loved the first one, thought the second was okay, but then they started going a little weird.  The 6th one was a little better, and I liked how they did the first half of the last one.  So, I'm looking forward to this one.  My hubby wants to see it only because they appear to show the fight between Mrs. Weasley and Bellatrix, that insane murderess who threatened her children.  He loves that part of the book.
The reason I bring up this insanity (and really - I think it has gotten out of hand, but I suppose no more than when Star Wars was out) is in tribute to the writer who started it all.  I wonder how she feels to have this last installment done and be at the end of the amazing run?  I think it would be a strange feeling.  When did the Harry Potter books first come out?  1997.  That means, this character and these line of books have been in the public eye for almost 15 years.  That's quite a legacy.  I understand she's garnered quite the income from it as well.  And not just from the books, the movies have been wildly popular (ahem). 
There have been many authors who have made it from book to big screen.  One of my favorites is Michael Crichton.  He wrote some amazing novels, and almost all of them made it to a movie.  I'm not sure why, exactly, but perhaps because he was able to do such a good job with it.  I read somewhere that it wasn't J.K. Rowlings narative ability, it was her way with words.  Perhaps that's the same with Crichton.  Many of John Greshams books have been to the big screen as well.  One of my favorites is Pelican Brief, but that's possibly because it has Julia Roberts in it.  Grin.
So, perhaps I mention this to encourage, maybe it's only because I'm jealous.  But whatever my reason, let it be an inspiration for your reason to continue writing.  Look around you - there are many successful writers that never have their books make it to a movie.  That does not define success.  I have a friend that self published his first novel.  He has since sold over 40,000.  A lot of them have been in ebook format, but does that matter?  In my opinion he is successful.  He has something to look at and say, hey - I did that.
I want to be able to say that, so I continue.  I don't expect to have any kind of popularity that the Harry Potter books have had, I don't write that kind of genre.  But at least my daughters will have something clean to read, which is why I wanted to publish in the first place, so that will make me a success in my own eyes. 
What is your estimation of success?

2 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Success is relative. Jo Rowling managed to make an impact and millions of lives. The stories written by abused or otherwise suffering children about how they were lifted up and inspired by Harry are amazing. But does success only have to count if it's in the magnitude of Rowlings' books. I think not. Even if all you, as a writer, do is touch one reader and make a difference--even a beta--I count that as success.

G. Parker said...

I'm with you! Thanks for commenting. ;)