Friday, July 13, 2012

Just Try It...

by G.Parker

If you haven't noticed lately, all of us seem to be stressed out about one thing or another.  Our personal lives are interrupting our professional/writing lives, and it's getting to us all - well, at least me.  ;)

I've been having a hard time sleeping lately.  Mostly because of the heat, but other factors are involved as well.  What I find is that this is an interesting time to do a Mad Write.  Simply because you never know what's going to come out of a sleep deprived brain.  Ask any new parent -- they'll vouch for that.  (I have a niece who had a baby about five months ago, and she's come to visit while functioning on sleep deprivation and it's hilarious to listen to her.)

Anyway, so if your muse is having a hard time focusing because they're melting in the heat, or your story has kind of run down, or your brain is functioning on sleep deprivation mode, then you ought to try a mad write and see what comes of it.  You can even use a sentence from your current work in progress to see if it comes out with something useful.  I just love mad writes for the pure imagination that comes out of it.

And since this week has been a general no sleep week and I'm not functioning on all cylinders, then I guess it's time for me to go try it and get the ending to my current WIP.

Was that a squirrel that just ran by?  With a pink tutu?  Whoa!

No comments: