Friday, October 12, 2012

Writing for Words

by G.Parker

Well, the days are passing faster than the weather.  I can't believe it's the middle of October all ready!  That means the count down is coming close and we are all getting anxious.

Today is the 12th, so that means there are 19 days till NaNoWriMo.  Are you ready?  I'm not.  Well, I guess I am mostly, but it's somehow creeping up on me faster than I had anticipated.

I wanted to do more research on my story and make sure I knew where I was going with it.  I wrote last week how preparing to write is like preparing to paint?  Well, perhaps -- but it's also something that I'm really good at procrastinating.  I work much better under pressure, for some reason, and it doesn't work well when you're trying to fight your own innate nature.  We're still trying to get my desk set back up, but hubby is a little busy studying for a major test, so that's kind of on the back burner.

We are also participating in a Cub Scout Pow Wow in November, which is going to take some time away from the writing, and we still have some prep we need to do for that.  (Memo to self:  remember not to agree to help hubby on something he agrees to do during the month of November...)  But fortunately, writing can happen anywhere and anyplace.  If I'm sitting at a school and not doing anything, I can write.  If I'm waiting for a child at a doctor appointment I can write on paper.  While I prefer to type as it keeps up with my thought processes, a pen and paper works just fine.  The more I get down out of my brain, the quicker I get to my goal.

While winning isn't everything, especially during the NaNo month, it brings a certain amount of satisfaction.  Perhaps the rest of the year you struggle with getting words down on paper?  Maybe working out a schedule of writing every day is the challenge.  Whatever the case, if you meet your goal during November, you know that it's possible to do and that you can do it more consistently.

Not only are you writing to win, you're writing for words.  Words that add up and help you further your writing goals.  Every word counts, every day adds up and it all brings you closer to finding out what your desires as a writer is.

So whatever your purpose in participating in NaNo, do your best, be prepared, and you will be a winner, even if you don't get the fun little stamp at the end.  After all, they say winning isn't everything, right?

I'm not so sure... lol

No comments: