Saturday, June 28, 2014

Holy Cow

By Keith N Fisher

As I’ve mentioned before, I have a WIP file on my computer. It contains work in progress manuscripts in different phases of development. I realized the other day that I’ve written more books then some authors did, during their whole career. Can you believe it? I’m a seasoned veteran.

Once, I was accused of being afraid of rejection. Otherwise I would’ve submitted all those WIP’s and got them published. I’ve been told I should self publish, and I’ve beaten the horse of being published, or not, several times. The truth is, I’ve been submitting and collecting rejections. I keep writing.

I realized another truth the other day. I’m not ready to grow up. On Facebook, I read that if you haven’t grown up by the time you’re fifty, you don’t have to. I’m fifty-something and I want to be a kid forever, like Peter Pan said:

 
I won't grow up. I don't want to go to school. Just to lear to be a parrot, and recite a silly rule.
If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree.
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up. Not me.


I won't grow up. I don't want to wear a tie, and a serious expression in the middle of July.
If it means I must prepare to shoulder burdens with a worried air.
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up. Not me. So there!

Never gonna be a man. I won't!
I’d like to see somebody try and make me.
Anyone who wants to try, and make me turn into a man . . . catch me if you can.

I won't grow up. Not a penny will I pinch. I’ll never grow a mustache, or a fraction of an inch.
'Cause growing up is awfuller than all the awful things that ever were.
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, No sir.

Seriously, I wish I could be sixteen again and know what I know, now. I’d love to do certain things all over again and avoid the mistakes. I would take my knowledge of events and use it to my advantage. I would become the best friend of those who made history. I would apply my knowledge and do it before they did. Yes Dr. Brown, I would change history.

Steven King wrote a book about the possibilities. He called it 11-22-63. Read it if you can get past the language and innuendo. I hear that JJ Abrams might make it a movie.

Okay, what was the point of my ramble? I don’t know, but holy cow. I’ve written more books than many of the best sellers did in their lifetime. I still wonder where my ideas come from.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.

No comments: