Thursday, January 15, 2015

Finding Your Balance

By C. Michelle Jefferies

I'm an author, I am also a student of yoga.

In my crazy world, the hour I spend on my mat is my sanity. You'll probably see a lot of parallels drawn between the two from me in the future.

This post is a prime example.

Balance is essential in yoga just as it is in life. Especially when the mass majority of authors do not write as a daytime job. I have seven kids, five of them still at home, I have a high needs four year old that I call destructo boy if that gives you any clue to what my day looks like. I have a husband that works out of state, and a house that is supposed to be on the market to sell. I'm also driven by the need to be creative in more than just needing to write. I dye fabric and clothes, bind books, do leather work, make jewelry and run a manuscript consult business.

Balance is essential in Yoga so I don't fall on my face, balance in life is essential so I don't burn out.

How do you achieve balance?

Scheduling, prioritizing, switching between projects, moderation in time spent and devotion to projects, maintain your non writers life and most important, self care. You can't write all day long and then expect the rest of your life to just not fall apart in the meantime.

Make an effort to achieve balance in your life, and you will be rewarded in the quality of the moments. 

Namaste

5 comments:

Weston Elliott said...

Boy, ain't that the truth!

Unknown said...

I'm exhausted just reading everything you do.

Karlene said...

Balance? I think that's a myth. Like Santa Claus. And the Easter Bunny. :)

Unknown said...

I like Karlene's response. Balancing is real hard for an extremists like me. I'm either not writing and taking care of those other responsibilities or I'm writing and not doing much of anything else. Maybe setting up blocks of time would help me do all that I'm supposed to do so everything gets done. Umm, if only I would plan it out it might work...

Weston Elliott said...

Wait.... what? Santa Clause is a myth? Oh, you are in so much trouble when the big guy finds out what you're saying... No more stockings for you!