Thursday, May 14, 2015

Past and Present Merging

By C. Michelle Jefferies 

I've been a student of Hatha Yoga for about ten years now. It's probably exactly what most of you think about when you hear the word Yoga. This year, however, I've become a student of Kundalini Yoga as well. Kundalini is exactly what I thought eastern yoga would be, and nothing I've ever expected to practice.

Why the change?

It's not exactly a change . . . more of an augmentation.

You see, while Hatha is great for the physical aspect, Kundalini is more for the energy and mind. Which is exactly what I need right now.

What does this have to do with writing?

Everything.

Many of my writing skills are old and have stuck with me for several years. Grammar doesn't change, storytelling doesn't change. They've improved over the years but the basics haven't changed. My ideas of plot have changed dramatically over the years, as well as character arc, and world building. I will never consider myself as finished in the realm of writing. There are always opportunities to learn. Always opportunities to improve.

Writers conferences, classes, retreats, online classes, books on writing are perfect ways to augment your writing skills. Ways to add to our base knowledge.

So in addition to what you all ready know, you should be adding to your skills all the time.

This weekend is LDStorymakers conference. Will I be seeing any of you there?

On another note, Just because it's new and fancy or everyone is doing it doesn't mean you have to assimilate it into your knowledge base. For example, while many people use and love Scrivner, I do not like it, and that's okay. I think it's awesome that Schrivner works for so many people. I have a system that works for me. Might be a little old fashioned, but for me it works so why change it? That said, that doesn't mean that some day sometime I won't run into a system or program that I love better than what I have now.  

So until next time.

The Awesome in me honors the Awesome in you. Sat Nam. 

No comments: