Sunday, May 07, 2006

Creating with the Creator

by Karen Hoover

I had a friend ask me last week how I created the “many layers” of my story and what my writing process was. My answer was this:

1 – Pray.
2 - Create the premise for the story—General outline.
3 - Create the characters. (I include pictures of the characters in this stage as well as "interview" them.)
4 – Pray.
5 - Do a general outline of the story—just the major scenes.
6 – Pray.
7 - Start writing. I do not do chapters. I just write as if it is one long story and put the chapter breaks in later. Each day I allow myself to read just enough of the previous chapter to put me back in the story and write from there.
8 – Pray.
9 - Keep repeating steps 7 and 8 as needed until the book is done, at which point Write becomes Edit. Step 8 always stays the same.

How many times do we sit down to write and forget that creation comes from The Creator? How often do we neglect to include Him in our creative projects?

This has been a hard learned lesson and is one that I still forget from time to time, but when applied it improves my writing more than any class or conference I’ve attended. The Spirit teaches, guides, and whispers not only to us, but through us and when we listen the lessons are priceless. Who are we to say which prayers are worth answering and which are not? The Lord says “Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.” He doesn’t say, “Ask and if it’s important I’ll answer,” or “Ask and I’ll answer if you’re good enough.” He says “Ask and ye shall receive.” Period.

Isn’t it time that we took Him at his word? I have, and do you know what I got? A story. And not just any story but a great story. He listened and answered. I asked, I knocked, sometimes I even pounded and every single time he opened the door and answered.

Try it. You’ll be amazed by what you find.

5 comments:

Karlene said...

"Creation comes from The Creator."

This is a powerful concept. All of my best writing comes from inspiration. When I try to do it by myself, I get writers block.

When I am writing well and by the spirit, 'in the zone' as some may call it, it's as if I'm merely taking dictation. And it feels wonderful.

Seminary said...

This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. What an important thing to remember!

Karen E. Hoover said...

I feel much the same, kb. I can't tell you the number of times I've felt like a pen in heavenly hands. It is both a thrilling and humbling experience.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thank you, seminary mom. I know it has made a huge difference for me when I remember to ask, in both writing and my life in general. I'm so glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Karen, and something I need to remember. It just isn't the big things He wants us to pray about, it's the small things--the things that bring us enjoyment. I wish you the best with your writing.