Wednesday, January 24, 2007

One Day At A Time

By Connie S. Hall

Genesis 1:31 “And God saw every thing he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.”

The scriptures tell us that it took God six days to create this earth and its heaven and all forms of life, and that he rested on the seventh day. I wonder why it has taken me so long to learn the Lord didn't do it all in one day, so why do I think I can?

I’ve always been big on setting goals every year. I usually plan each day right down to complete details. I have given class after class on time management and I know that it is an important thing to do. This year I am sitting back and just waiting. I haven’t failed to plan my time since 1982. Wow, that’s 24 years. I’ll get around to it, because I still think it’s important, I just don’t want to do it now.

This year, as I read the goals that Nichole and Cindy in our blog group set I felt guilty. I didn’t set any such objective. I didn’t want to. I know I’ll eventually give in and set some goals, but right now, I don’t want to think about such things. Maybe it’s rebellion, but in a few weeks I’m sure my time management will be back on track. Meanwhile I’m taking a break.

I haven’t given up writing. I actually started a new short story. One day this week, I revised a story I had wrote and submitted to a contest last year. It only took a couple of hours. I am starting at the top of all the stories on my computer and revising them, making them more marketable. I will follow my writing group’s advice and get them in the mail (next month).

This coming weekend, I’m going on a writing retreat. I will leave Friday night and not return until Sunday evening. I will have a room of my own and will hibernate there. I hear there is no internet so I’m trying to do my research now and I’m saving it on my computer. There is electricity, so I get to take my lap top and of course my Alpha Smart. I’m also gathering the writing books I’ll need.

Since I’m a writer, the story ideas keep swimming in my head. No matter how much I want to quit I can’t. I wonder if I could get by leaving my cell phone home. If I did, I would probably have an angry husband, but one can wish can’t they? Maybe he’ll only call once a day.

I’m seriously thinking about the idea that God didn’t do it all in one day so I don’t need to. I really am taking it one day at a time. I don’t try to do everything in a day, but after years of practice, it’s hard to slow down. I’m trying to enjoy the moment. I’ve not done that very often over the years.

Yes, I’m still doing the things required of me such as my church calling in the stake and I still go to my job every day. In fact, after I was there on the 15th I was asked, “What are you doing here? It’s a holiday.”

I told my boss, “Since I’m already here I’ll take a day off in a few weeks.”

My house is still clean. Even after having an extra three people staying last week it’s still clean. I spent the weekend cleaning out a file cabinet. There really must be something wrong with me. I’m just going to keep saying, “You don’t have to do it all in one day.”

2 comments:

Nichole Giles said...

You are amazing, Connie. I think you handle your busy schedule better than most people. You are right, though. A lot of the things you are trying to do can wait until tomorow. And sometimes, it's okay to let them.

Good blog.

Nichole

Anonymous said...

Nice job on this blog. Goals are so important and it's nice to have a reminder of that.

Thanks.