Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Create A Treasure Map

By Connie S. Hall

I recently read an article by Shakti Gawain that suggests you create a treasure map for every single goal in your life. It will help your mind focus on your objective more clearly. The article also recommends that after you finish your map you need to look at it each day, which will cause your mind to think about your target.

Creating a visual picture of what you want to accomplish sounds like a good idea to me. Since most of you are probably more artistic than I am you would have fun with this idea. The next suggestion was that you draw yourself into the picture.

Since our group is focusing on writing this means you would make a colorful map with pictures showing you working on your novel, mailing off your completed manuscript, and it even advises you show yourself as the proud author of your new book.

As for me, if I drew a picture I would burst out in laughter every time I saw it, and I would never get any writing done. Instead of a treasure map, I have a few notes attached above where I spend most of my time writing. Make sure the slogans you choose are inspirational and uplifting, and help energize your goals. The verses could also be exciting, playful, or humorous, as long as it reminds you how important writing is to you.

Here are a few suggestions I borrowed, but since you are a writer you could make up your own:

“I can fix a bad page, but I can’t fix a blank one.”
"Everyday begins as a clean new slate I am free to choose what gets written there."
“Listen to the demands of your characters, who, as they begin to come to life, may insist upon a different fate than the one you planned.”
“The original writer is not one who imitates nobody, but one whom nobody can imitate.”
“Grab your reader by the throat from your very first sentence.”
“Cut out anything that doesn’t help the story complete itself.”
“If anybody can stop you from being a writer, then don’t be one.”
“You don’t have to blow out someone else’s candle to make yours glow brighter.”

The recommendation I liked best was that you don’t show anything negative. I suggest that whether you draw a picture or write a slogan to place above your computer that you make it as positive as possible. Do whatever it takes to keep motivated.

1 comment:

Nichole Giles said...

Connie,
What a great idea this is. Too bad I'm a terrible artist. Maybe I can talk someone who can actually draw into drawing my map for me. It would sure help me focus on the goal.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nichole