Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Five (much delayed) things not really known about me

by Karen Hoover


Well, I’ve been quite the slacker these past several months, but with good reason ― medical reasons, mostly. Alas, I will not bore you with the details, though I can assure you that all is well now. So, finally I am posting my five little known facts about myself.

1) I come from a blended family of 8 children ranging from the age of 71 to 34. Yes, you heard that right: there is a 36 year difference between the oldest and youngest child. My oldest brother is four years younger than my mother. Scary, eh?

2) My husband tells me I eat in a circle. I start at one point on my plate and move on to the next item and the next until I’ve made a complete circle and am back to item one. I’ve tried to change the habit since he pointed it out to me, but find myself still doing so from time to time.

3) My first creative love was music. My grandmother, mother, and myself used to sing in three part harmony when I was just a kid. Grandma taught me how to hear and love the harmonies so that now, even though I am technically a soprano, I prefer to sing the alto parts.

4) I’ve played the flute for 25 years. It’s what got me to college. I’ve had three scholarship offers over the years; one to Utah State University (which I accepted), one to Weber State (when it was still a college and not a university), and one to the University of Utah (who offered the scholarship but wouldn’t accept me as a student).

5) I love to build things. My husband owns a screwdriver and ratchet set. I own a table saw, jigsaw, sander, drill, and am dying to get my hands on a scroll saw and a router. I actually built myself a den in part of my garage, everything from the framing and insulation, to the drywall and painting. I built bookshelves and laid tile and loved every second of it. The only other time I work so hard and happy is when I write. The smell of sawdust makes me drool and Home Depot has got to be the coolest place on earth!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little glimpse into my weirdness. Stay tuned for future messages from the missing Blogcker.

6 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hello, missing blogger!! Good to see you!

Cindy Beck, author said...

Karen,
Thanks for letting us know all about you. It was fun.

Anonymous said...

welcome back. I have missed you

Keith

Marsha Ward said...

Very cool, Karen!

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thanks, everyone, it's great to be back!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you get to know unusual things about people.

Rebecca Talley