Monday, April 23, 2007

Tagged Again

By C.L. Beck
©2007


I just can’t help it; I love the game of tag. As soon as it starts going around on the blogging sites, I’m hollering, “Ooo, me. Tag me!”

If you read Keith’s blog, but don’t remember how this version of tag goes, it’s simple. Once you’re tagged, you go out to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) and type in your birthday (not including the year) in the search box on the left. It brings up all kinds of fun information about what happened in history on your special day. Then you pick three events, two births, one death and one holiday from the list, and report it in a blog.

My birthday is Oct 21. Here’s what happened on that day in history:

Events
1520 - Ferdinand Magellan discovers a strait now known as Strait of Magellan.
1797 - In Boston Harbor, the 44-gun United States Navy frigate USS Constitution is launched.
1954 - The first part of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring is published in the U.S.

Births
1687 - Nicolaus I Bernoulli, Swiss mathematician (d. 1759)
1833 - Alfred Nobel, Swedish inventor and founder of the Nobel Prize (d. 1896)

Deaths
1969 - Jack Kerouac, American novelist (b. 1922)

Holidays and Observances
Trafalgar Day—celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.

Customs and Traditions
October 21 is Apple Day.

I know that including a custom wasn’t on the list of things to report, but how can anyone resist mentioning Apple Day?

Now ... it’s time for me to tag someone. Nichole, you’re it!

No comments: