Friday, June 29, 2007

Networking

by G.Parker

Net.work.ing – noun
1. a supportive system of sharing information and services among individuals and groups having a common interest.


This word popped into my head this morning as I was thinking of a topic to blog about. Recently, many of our writing group have started up their own blogs in an effort to get themselves known in the world of books and writing, as well familiarize themselves with the electronic media and it’s impact on the publishing world. Many of them are first time bloggers and this is a new and exciting experience for them. Some of them have been blogging for years - if sporadically (that would be me).

This whole situation got me thinking about networking. In the business world, networking is the word used to describe contacts that will further your career or make you money. It’s all about who you know, not what you know, right? Well, that works in many areas.

Take our writing group. Where else would a bunch of writers applaud each other, support one another, and assist with questions and give information? There is no thought of jealousy (or if there is, no one mentions it) nor is there any sign of critism of each other’s efforts. We simply enjoy each other’s company, wish for all to succeed and cheer on everyone’s efforts.

With the blog issue, one of us asked if anyone minded her linking their blogs to her sight. Does this benefit her? Not directly, but it’s the whole networking thing. What helps you, helps me. What I do for another, comes back to me. The golden rule remains a constant, no matter where or who you are. Sometimes it takes a while, and we wonder if it will ever come around - but it does. Eventually. That’s why writers are such long suffering chaps. We have to be...editors take forever.

So find a good blog and do some light reading. We’ve all got something to say, and we all say it differently. In the end...it all gets read.

Here is a listing of some of our blogs:
ldspaz.blogspot.com/
rebeccatalleywrites.blogspot.com
rondagibbhinrichsen.com
karen-hoover.blogspot.com/
tristipinkston.blogspot.com/
inksplasher.blogspot.com/
grrlinawhirl.blogspot.com
chickenarmpits.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog--you're cool!

If ever there was a truism in life, it is that what goes around comes around. I have seen that happen so many timee, I've lost count.

I love the LDS writing sommunity because it's so supportive. Those who've published multiple books are just as willing to help those who are still struggling to find publication. People jump in and offer resources, critiques, a shoulder to cry on, and/or cheerleading when someone finally lands a contract.

Great post, Gaynell.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Gaynell,
I left a comment here before, but it seems to have vanished. Aaah, computers, don't we just love them?;-)

You're so right, life is not only about perfecting our writing craft, but also about making friends along the way.

Thanks for a good blog.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

I have to say I'm one who fights the green-eyed monster all the time. When I watch Anne of Green Gables, the scene where she finally gets published (not the baking powder one)I feel so envious. How come she can get a book published so easily, and I---
And yet, I also have to say I really enjoy working with other writers and sharing advice. I remember Josi Kilpack once said something like, "When one succeeds, it helps us all." And that's so true. If we, as a group, raise the bar on our craft, we will all benefit. So in many ways, I consider this networking thing we do as part of "raising the bar."