Friday, July 06, 2007

My Rights


by G.Parker

I was driving my son to work this morning, thinking about today’s blog, and it hit me. Do you realize that what we are doing is practicing our right to freedom of speech? Just like millions of others around our nation, we can say what we like because of those who founded our country and wanted to make it free of oppression of any kind.

I think it’s amazing when we look at what they accomplished, and what we enjoy as a result of that effort. One of my favorite movies is National Treasure. There’s a line where he states all the things that would have happened to the men that signed the Declaration of Independence if they hadn’t won the war. His favorite was ‘having their entrails cut out and burned.’ Ugh.

But because of their efforts, and their willingness to suffer whatever may come, we are able to sit in our homes and send out messages to the world of whatever we want to say.

I say "God bless America".

I am so very thankful to live in this country, I could go on for hours about how grateful I am. I’ve had a small taste of what it means to live outside our nation, and believe me, it was enough. I have NO desire to move anywhere else...unless it’s Canada, LOL. (My hubby is Canadian at heart.)

So while we talk about writing skills, rejection and all those things that go along with writing, I want to take this opportunity to exercise my rights and privileges as a citizen of this great nation. I’d like to see anyone else do what we have to influence the world and still take the pot shots that the world likes to throw at us. I’d like to see any other country survive 9/11 and come out with stronger pride and resolve than we did then. I just wish our leaders (not just the President) were as great as the nation they lead–but that’s for another time.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and wave the flag high. I will.

2 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

G,
That is soooo true. Think of the countries where even the newspapers are censored. And in America, the average citizen can write and say whatever they want. We are a very blessed nation.

Thanks for a good blog. And I really enjoyed the photo you included.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Thank-you for your blog. It gave me a "boost." Also, just as a comment about freedom of speech. Did you know all our "blogspots" are censored--unavailable--in China?