Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Challenge

By Connie S. Hall

I’m a member of the League of Utah Writer’s, the Oquirrh Chapter. In our August newsletter, the editor issued a challenge for us to think of our own personal methods of procrastination and share them. Why did he ask us to do this? Because someone posted an article, 31 Reasons Why Writers Don’t Write.

Before I read the above reasons, I hadn’t thought that I was procrastinating when I didn’t write. I hate procrastination. Why would I do it? He is right, some days I do put off the task of writing.

I don’t want to avoid writing today, so I’m not going to spend more than 10 minutes coming up with some things I’ve found myself doing. Maybe you would also like to take the Challenge:

1. I have to read all my emails.
2. I play Solitaire.
3. I think, “I’ll just Google it!”
4. I write articles like this.
5. My desk is too dirty.
6. I need to start dinner.
7. I’d rather do research.
8. I forgot to call a friend.
9. I need to finish planning my next trip.
10. Maybe I need to go see my mom.

If I’m not in the mood to write, I know I can think of many more reasons to postpone what I know I should do. If I dawdle and skip a day of writing, it’s harder the next day to become motivated. I think I need to be more positive and think of reasons why I need to write. If you have some good reasons to write maybe you should pass them on to me to keep me motivated.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad to say, my list was longer than that, dang it. That's not really a list I want to have. Connie, you gave me something to think about. I do let life get in the way of writing way too much.

In the meantime, I wanted to share: I posted this on my blog today:

"Okay, I'll admit it. Anne Bradshaw over at Not Entirely British did a really good thing and I am shamelessly borrowing from her idea of spotlighting the most amazing youth in the world. I think it is incredible what she has done and the youth that are the finalists in her contest are truly amazing. If you haven't gone to her blog yet, read about them and vote, you're going to want to do that as soon as you're done reading mine, submitting a nomination and generally recognizing that I'm the greatest blogger to ever walk the earth . . . all right, all right, you don't have to do that last part. As long as it exists in my mind I'm okay with that.

Announcing the Best Husband in the World Contest -- please check out my blog today."

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

Cindy Beck, author said...

Connie,
Loved your list. But you failed to mention, "Go to the store for chocolate." (No point in denying it, we know you love chocolate, Connie:)

Good blog.