Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Take The Write Vacation

By Connie S. Hall

I’ve been getting ready for a vacation, and have discovered that you use the same steps in preparing for a trip as you do in writing. Here are some ideas to show you what I mean.

1. You have to have a launching off time, getting ready. I have my airplane reservations, and soon I’ll be packing my bags. You need to start writing your story with a plan in mind.

2. I have maps leading me from one hotel to the next. I do think I know where I’m going. Knowing where you are going with your story is important.

3. Decide where to start and end. It costs more to fly into one place and leave from another than it does to use the same airport both times, but the time you save is worth every dollar. Your story needs a good beginning, as well as a great ending.

4. You need to have places to visit along the way. You have to save time for breaks as you travel. Every story needs distractions, the same as every vacation.

5. Some days you feel like traveling for longer periods than you do on other days. Some interruptions are long and some are short. It should be the same with your writing.

6. My mother is traveling with me and I know she needs extra time to rest, and it’ll take longer on some days than other days. Leave room for unexpected delays. Throw in something unexpected as you write.

7. We have a destination planned, and know what we want to do each day. Have a firm plan in place as you write, but leave it free for changes.

8. The final part of our trip is a family reunion. We are saving this for the last in hopes it’ll be the best. As you write, keep the finish line in sight. The end should always be the best.

9. After more than two weeks we’ll be glad to finally be done and on our way home. Don’t give up writing your story until it’s done.

10. We will be glad to be home and delight in being with our family again. Celebrate the ending. KEEP WRITING!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice analogy. Thanks.

Enjoy your trip and have a safe journey.

C. LaRene Hall said...

Thanks Candace. I'm packed ready to go, just wish Saturday would hurry. I think my moms as anxious as I am to be on our way.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Connie,
Nice job on the blog. I think the analogy is great.

Have a wonderful trip and come back with lots of new writing ideas.