Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Repetition or Variety

By Connie S. Hall

There are only a couple of things that I enjoy when it comes to repetition, both of which are church related. First, I love seeing the same thing occur over and over at the temple. It is the only movie I’ve watched hundreds of times and I can hardly wait until I can see it again.

Second, during the church services on Sunday, I’m grateful for the duplication of lessons. I know this is the only way I’m going to remember all the details that are necessary for my salvation. Don’t get me wrong – I like the lessons given in an interesting way, not just someone standing in front reading from a manual, or repeating scriptures the entire hour.

Normally, I hate repetition. If I’ve been there, I would rather not go again because I’ve already seen it. I’m not a traditional person. I don’t like us to do the holidays the same way every year – I prefer they are different. I like variety and decorate differently every year.

After I’ve learned to make something, I already can do it so what is the point in doing it again? Once I taught myself to knit basic booties, I had to learn a different stitch each time I made a new bootie. I had so many booties, not pairs, that a friend often told me, “Maybe you’ll have a one-footed baby Connie.”

I would like to learn to do something myself instead of having someone teach me. First, I pull out the directions and read as I do each step. After quitting my job to be a stay-at-home mom, I agreed to sell Creative Circle items at home shows. I taught myself to do counted cross-stitch, needlepoint, latch hook, and every new thing sent my way. You can probably guess I don’t do this any longer because I already know how to do it all.

In the kitchen, I have a blast. I love cooking new and different things to eat. Not all of them turn out edible, but most the time I’m successful in creating delicious new dishes. With only two of us, it is more difficult and I find myself doing the boring everyday cooking that I hate.

I only read a book once, and watch a movie one time. Because of this unusual quirk, I have a hard time deciding what stories to write. I don’t want to choose a genre because I want my stories to be different—so I sit wondering what unusual twist I can think of each time.

4 comments:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I have a hard time deciding what to write as well. Seems like everything has already been done, but I have to keep reminding myself that I have my own twist to put on things.

Unknown said...

I'm the same when it comes to not reading books or watching movies more than once. Knowing the ending isn't fun. Except for scriptures. Those I can read forever. Maybe because there is no ending--yet:-)

Y'all might enjoy another good read. I'm giving away a Christmas gift on my blog today. Go help yourselves anyone who reads this. Enjoy--and an early Merry Christmas!

C. LaRene Hall said...

I'm so glad to find I'm not the only weird person out there. As I read other blogs and people say how they read such and such a book six times, I often think how can they do that? I appreciate your comments, and thank you Anne for the gift.

Jenn said...

As I was reading your post, I was thinking how much you and my husband wouldn't get along. :) He's the kind of person who wants to go to the same restaurant every time we go out and order the same dish because he knows he's going to like it.

I have to say that I, personally enjoy a little more variety, but I think you've taken it to the extreme. :D