Thursday, December 27, 2007

Goals

By Nichole Giles

At the beginning of last year I made some goals with my family. Several of those goals had to do with writing. I am happy to say that I succeeded in achieving most of those goals.

I finished rough drafts to two books, and submitted several shorter submissions monthly. I didn’t get my short submissions sent for the month of December this year, and so I have fallen short of the two submissions a month goal I started out with. However, I did make my submission goal for every other month of the year, which was pretty good.

I attended three writing conferences and finished a by-mail class through Long Ridge Writer’s group in Connecticut. So, I guess you can say I’ve continued my writing education.

I was able to do all of these things partly because I shared my goals with my family and my writer friends. With their support, I’ve been able to move forward toward achieving the even bigger goal of publication.

The time has come for me to think about what I want to accomplish in 2008. I’ve decided to up the stakes and plan to finish and submit at least two book length manuscripts along with my shorter monthly submissions. I’m going to join the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, and attend at least three writer’s conferences—hopefully more. As for the rest of my goals…well…I still have a few days to work them out.

Any suggestions?

No comments: