Wednesday, February 27, 2008

An Honor

By C. LaRene Hall

During the past week at LDS Writers Blogck, Nichole Giles gave me an award “A Roar for Powerful Words” and C. Beck gave me an award “You Make My Day”. I can’t believe this coming from either one of them because they are both my inspiration.

...............

Of course, they stole all the good tidbits of advice I’m supposed to pass on to you. Nichole said to read, join critique groups, and write. Then Cindy said to believe in yourself, submit, and share the wealth. Now what does that leave?

First, I will say to enjoy the journey. How could you not? Writing is a blast.

Second, learn the techniques in writing by reading and attending writing conferences. It will make the going easier. Once you learn these techniques, you can use, ignore, break, or twist them any way you want. The choice is up to you.

Third, don’t just dream of big things; wake up and do them.

Since Nichole and C. Beck used some of my advice, they also used the other people in our writing group. When I think about powerful words, I recall the writing conferences I’ve attended. Some of those who have helped me at these are James Dashner, Julie Wright, Tristi Pinkston, Annette Lyon, and H. B. Moore.

Besides family and friends, which include my blogging group, the ones who usually make my day are those in my local Oquirrh writing group. Jill Vanderwood, Sara Fitzgerald, Dorothy Crofts, Susanne Morley, and Kathy Jones are always supportive. They sometimes have more faith in me than I have in myself. Aren’t people wonderful?

No comments: