Monday, April 07, 2008

The Box in the Doorway

By C.L. Beck
© 2008

My husband, Russ, and I walked into the living room, turning the lights out behind us as we went. It was past time for bed, and we were headed upstairs to our bedroom. Russ glanced out the front door as he usually did in passing, and then stopped. “Is there something in the door?”

He couldn’t really have meant in the door, because whatever it was would have to be the size of a sliver to be in it. He probably meant, “Is something between the front door and storm door?” But that takes way too long to say when a person is tired.

“Something in the doorway? How would I know?” I replied. I believe Russ sometimes thinks I have x-ray vision.

Russ opened it, picked up a box and turned to me with a question in his eyes. No doubt he thinks I can read minds as well as see through buildings.

“Just put it on the chair and we can check it in the morning,” I said, starting up the stairs. The contents were probably two dresses I’d ordered months ago, or shoes, or essential doo-dads no household should be without, or … or.

I stopped, my foot resting on the next step, and Russ almost rear-ended me. “Was that box heavy?” I asked.

He nodded. “Yup, it felt like books.”

Oh, books! Wonderful, glorious books! I almost leapt over him in my haste to get back down the stairs. “They’re here,” I shouted. “They’re here!”

Russ turned the light back on while I tore the tape off the box. Nestled inside were 15 brand-spanking new copies. Gold and copper text glinted in the soft glow of the Tiffany lamp. The title read, A Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers.

My book.

Well, not exactly my book because it’s an anthology. But close enough. The first nationally published book carrying a story I wrote. The first one to pay me for my thoughts. The first one I would autograph at book signings.

I turned it over, loving the feel of its rectangular shape. Then the realization hit me. It might look like a book, but it wasn’t. What I really held in my hands were my hopes and dreams, perfumed with a paper and ink fragrance, and wrapped in a color cover.

(Some people have expressed an interest in a signed copy. Thanks so much for that! If you'd like one, you can order it at http://www.bythebecks.com/)


C.L.’s other work:
Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers, "Horse on Lap"
Life is Like Riding a Unicycle by Shirley Bahlmann, "Priming the Pump, pg. 79 by C.L. Beck
Newspaper Column
Ensign Magazine, Dec 2007-Q&A
2007 League of Utah Writer's Award-Historical Fiction
Website

What books C.L. recommends:
Publishing Secrets by LDS Storymakers (BJ Rowley and others)
Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction by Jon Franklin
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Rennie Browne & Dave King

4 comments:

Keith N Fisher said...

Relish it--love it--be in the moment for as long as you can. I am so happy for you. can't wait to get an signed copy. way to go, Inky

Cindy Beck, author said...

Keith,
I believe I'll take your advice, and savor the feeling for as long as I can!

Oh, you can order a signed copy at http://www.bythebecks.com

Or better yet, drop me an email and I'll have Russ bring you one when he's up in Provo, and it'll save you the shipping.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Marsha Ward said...

What a glorious moment! I'm with Keith--relish it, bask in it, then get on with selling it!

Cindy Beck, author said...

Marsha,
Good advice!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!