Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Good Job

By C. LaRene Hall

One thing that stood out in my mind at the LDStorymaker’s conference last month was the comment, “You are here to recharge your batteries and to be inspired.

In the presentation by Lael Littke, she reminded everyone about some of the potholes we should avoid in our writing such as a dead-battery beginning. I agree with her completely that you will sit at home all day if your starter doesn’t work. If you want your reader to hop on for the ride, you need to make the action move. She used many terms familiar to all of us. Don’t carry too much baggage. Don’t let your plot run out of gas. Don’t leave home without a destination.

There was something at the conference for every writer. Classes taught on almost every topic you could imagine such as step by step basics, writing a synopsis, how to get your story noticed, creating a new world, tips from editors, and the list goes on and on.

The only problem I saw was there was so much offered it was hard to choose where to spend my time. To me my time is valuable and I don’t ever want to waste even one minute. The classes I enjoyed the most where the ones that taught me something I needed, rather than having the instructor tooting their horns.

I know every person needs something different, so it must be hard for those in charge of these writing conferences to pick competent writers to teach. For the most part, they did a great job and those that couldn’t come missed out on a great opportunity. Three cheers for a job well done.

No comments: