Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Promoting Good

By C. LaRene Hall

D&C 25:12 “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads”.

We all know that inspiring music promotes spirituality, reverence, and happiness. “Music can be used to exalt and inspire or to carry messages of degradation and destruction. It is therefore important that as Latter-day Saints we at all times apply the principles of the gospel and seek the guidance of the Spirit in selecting the music with which we surround ourselves.” Priesthood Bulletin, December 1970, p. 10.

In our homes, we must hold high standards and listen to uplifting music that will spread the gospel, touch hearts, and give us comfort.

I believe we should also include good books in our homes. Besides the scriptures, we need books with high standards that will inspire those that read them. Among those books can be stories of fiction that promote living the gospel with clean words, and clean thoughts.

As a writer, I will not use bad language or things that will carry a bad message to my readers. Even if I can’t be published in the LDS market, I will not lower my standards to those of the world.

No comments: