Friday, November 07, 2008

It's That Time Again


by G.Parker

You know when the leaves turn and the air turns cold that it's that time of year again. Yep -- Nanowrimo has arrived!

Once again, thousands across the world join together in writing a novel of 50,000 words in 30 days. I talked two of my daughters into joining the effort this year. The one that did it last year didn't finish...sigh. I guess she wasn't really motivated. This year she seems rather determined, but my youngest daughter has really been going for it. I've felt rather relaxed about the whole thing.

Believe it or not, I've been doing this for five years. What surprised me, was the fact that Nano has now been going for ten years. I'm still not quite sure of the draw. I think it has to do with a challenge, a gauntlet -- so to speak -- being thrown down for all writers, be they imagined or otherwise. Just to get out there and put words on paper. Find that inner voice. Follow the dream.

The most difficult part of the month is not editing. I'm so used to going back and re-reading what I've written so I can be editing as I write. Nano discourages that. Just write, is what they say. The editing comes later, after the month is over.

I still get the same complaints from my husband every year..."Why do they pick November? What about the family? I'm going to disconnect our internet..." lol. He suffers very little from the time I spend on this endeavor, but I think it's his way of letting me know he doesn't want to be neglected.

This year I had the story ready to go, background and all fleshed out. I just don't have a title. What do you call a modern day wagon train story with a girl and guy falling in love? I mean...I don't want it to be sappy. Grin.

It's recommended that everyone write an average of 2000 words a day to make the end without stressing. At least I'm on track so far...I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the month. What about you? It's not too late, you can still sign up and throw yourself into the wild frenzy that is known as Nano.

Just be sure to keep lots of chocolate (or your favorite candy) handy -- it's necessary for those days when you're staring with an empty head at a blinking screen and you are several thousand words behind the goal...

1 comment:

Keith N Fisher said...

I think it's so popular because everyone secretly wants someone to push them. and making a goal like that is pushing them. of course there is the thing with being able to shut everything off and just write. good luck this year.