Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Holidays

by C. LaRene Hall

Before starting my blog, I will accept the tag and name five of my favorite Christmas stories/movies.
1. Christmas Carol
2. Return to Christmas
3. The Nutcracker
4. White Christmas
5. A Grandpa for Christmas

We all have different traditions and customs when celebrating Christmas. In our home, we have an artificial tree. My husband hangs electric lights, and the grandchildren and I hang the various ornaments that I have collected over the years. They each represent something I care about or places I’ve visited. My daughter Annette, comes each year and arranges my Christmas village. Every year it seems to grow, but she’s getting very good at doing it quickly.

Our family, like so many others, has a celebration together. We exchange gifts, play games, and always eat together. Since our family is so large now we sometimes have a hard time planning a time that is convenient for everyone. In fact, this year, we were missing one piece of our family because he had to work. Since we usually have to do this a few weeks before Christmas, it makes Christmas Eve feel empty to me. All the families are busy with their own small family and the next morning there are no small children at my home sneaking in to see what Santa brought for them. No one wants to leave their home on Christmas Day, so I’m sure glad for those invitations to visit them at their house.

I guess this leaves me lots of time to write. Who ever heard of someone writing on Christmas Eve? Anyway, I hope you all have a happy holiday and don’t eat too much.

1 comment:

Annette Lyon said...

I guess I'm weird--to me, writing on Christmas Eve would be awesome, if I could do it guilt-free. Writing is my happy place!

Merry Christmas!